Friday, December 12, 2014

December Week 3: Yummy Yucky Holiday Edition




Yummy Yucky is back!  We're going to use this book as a springboard to discuss yummy holiday food (candy canes, cookies, hot chocolate with marshmallows!) and yucky nonfoods (ornaments, tinsel, ribbons, pine needles, markers, paint, glitter, candle wax).  

What foods do you like to eat or drink?  I LOVE hot chocolate.....with whipped cream, not marshmallows, thankyouverymuch.  I love the homemade caramels I make for gifts every year.  I love the traditional Swedish foods from my ancestors - saffron buns, pepparkakor (think gingerbread cookies), and rice pudding with berry sauce.  Yum!!!

What foods do you not like?  I don't like marshmallows on sweet potatoes.  I don't like peas.  I don't like peanut butter (weird, I know).  

What about things we should NEVER put in our mouths, particularly things we decorate with around the holidays?  

Now is a good time to point out foods in magazines, foods you have for family dinners, and special treats your family receives or gives.  Smell them, feel them taste them.

Be sure to ask your children to sing the Must Be Santa song (click here for the post that has the video).

For snack time I'm bringing my hot chocolate maker and we're drinking hot chocolate with marshmallows (no marshmallows in mine).

ACTIVITY:  We're going caroling to the front office.  The children have been working hard on practicing their Must Be Santa song.  I'm eager to see how well they do with an unfamiliar audience.

Don't forget to wear your pajamas.  I'm wearing pajamas and slippers, too.