Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Summer Language Activities

(summer 2013 on the Oregon Coast)


What do I like to do in the summer time?  Go to my parents cabin (it's my happy place).  Make homemade ice cream - fresh peach is my favorite!  See a fun movie with my family.  Hiking, biking (my daughter is going to bike camp this year to learn how to ride a two-wheeler without training wheels), road trips, taking lots of photos, hosting a family reunion, playing with cousins, swimming, and going on picnics.  I'm certified to dive now, so at least a couple of diving trips.  I can't wait to show my students the pictures under the water!  We're planning to take the train downtown a few times to explore.

I've had a lot of parents ask how to promote language skills over the summer.  Head to the library.  check out books to read together.  Point out pictures, predict what will happen next, and everyone says "Turn The Page!" when it's time.  Make cookies and talk about what is going IN the bowl.  Are the cookies crunchy or soft?  Head to the zoo, the park, the mountains, the lake, or where ever your family likes to hang out.  Make funny animal sounds, talk about the weather, and comment about what you see.  Head to the pool or run through the sprinklers and talk about cold water, hot sun, and wet vs dry.  

Want more ideas?  Check out Lisa Geary MS, CCC-SLP on the ASHA blog for some fun language activities to do over the summer.  Picnics, beach, and butterfly treats!  Click here.  You can also check out Lisa's blog Live Speak Love here.  

Playing With Words 365 has SLP Katie's Top Ten list of summer activities for your toddler that includes water play, ice play, obstacle courses, and field trips.  Check it out here.  

Water balloons, summertime treats, and pool activity ideas to promote language can be found on Preschool Speech.com.

You can find a whole bunch of language activity calendars over at Alberta Health Care Services.  They even include some nursery rhymes to learn (just like Miss Ange's class!).  Scroll down to find the calendars for June, July, and August.

Comment on what you like to do in the summer.  If you see me out and about with my family, come say hi!