Thursday, November 5, 2020

November Week 1: Food or Not Food?

Vocabulary and Basic Concepts:  familiar and unfamiliar food items (pizza apples, carrots, tomatoes, doughnuts, spaghetti, legos, markers, glue, toy people, cars, Potato Head feet, stacker rings), not, like/don't like, food/not food.

Transition Song: Gobble Gobble by Nooshi

Note:  We're only singing the first verse and much more slowly than this is sung.  We're also beating a pattern of knees-clap-knees-clap while we sing.  We show the foods that may be typical at Thanksgiving and talk about them.  I emphasize "If I don't know if I like it or I think I won't like it, I still try a tiny bit.  Just in case I changed my mind."

This week, Miss Carrie brought box full of toy food and toys.  We took turns pulling it out of the box with our eyes closed.  We talked about what it was and if it was food or not food.

If it was food: do we like it or don't like it?  It is okay if my friends don't like something but I do like it.  Everyone loved french fries and watermelon.  Some people didn't like eggs.  Some people liked pizza.  We learned that spaghetti could also be called noodles or pasta.  We still don't put pretend food in our mouths.  We hold it away from our mouths and pretend to eat it.

If it wasn't food, we discussed if we could still put it in our mouths.  NOOOOO! Miss Jeana and Miss Kazia would have to wash it and they do not want to wash any more toys.

DO THIS AT HOME:  talk about the foods at dinner and if you like it or don't like it.  Do you want to try a little bit to see if you changed your mind?  That's what Miss Carrie does.  She keeps trying peanut butter or peas to see if she changed her mind. (No, she hasn't changed her mind yet.)